Working with the most talented people on the
biggest clients for the most respected firms is the
best way to grow as a professional.
In order to achieve the right effect with the illumination I used a pretty accurate model of the lamp, and worked a lot on the materials in order to have them behave as much as possible like the real world counterparts. I used global illumination to calculate reflection and refraction of light into textured reflective and translucent surfaces inside the lamp. This way when put into a simulated indoor scenarios I could see a good approximation of the light color and ambient effect of the real lamp.
Not all the renderings are photo-realistic though, some of them has been realized to study the overall shape, some of them to study the internal aluminum frame, some of them use a toon-like filter in order to more clearly display all the pieces.
This page is more about the rendering study than the concept of the project itself. For that there’s a dedicated page on this very website.
Back then the computer processors where nowhere as powerful as today. Some of this renderings took from 12 to 20 hours to complete, since many of them had to be big enough to be included into the A2 giant posters we submitted to the contest. The entire project has been developed in 3D studio max, using insanely detailed meshes. The first attempts where made using Final Render Stage 1, the finals where realized using V-Ray Advanced 1.0, which proved to be much faster, flexible and easy to set-up.